The Cortland Wastewater Treatment Facility first entered service in 1939, providing primary sewage treatment to the City of Cortland. A major upgrade in the mid 70s and another completed in 1995 have resulted in a facility providing advanced secondary wastewater treatment to the City of Cortland, Village of Homer, Town of Cortlandville and Village of McGraw. The facility is currently undergoing a major upgrade to comply with Chesapeake Bay nutrient removal requirements.
The facility treats an average of nearly 7 million gallons daily (MGD). The treatment facility is designed to treat up to 9 MGD and in wet weather has handled flows of up to 30 MGD. Wastewater treatment consists of gravity clarification and the activated sludge biological process. From May 15 to October 15, the treated wastewater is disinfected with chlorine then dechlorinated before being discharged to the Tioughnioga River. Upon completion of the current upgrade, the process will involve gravity clarification and Sequencing Batch Reactor.
The Cortland Wastewater Facility is a city department operated by City of Cortland employees.