- 5:15 p.m.
- 2nd Thursday of the month
25 Court Street
Mayor's Conference Room
Cortland NY, 13045
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Bonnie Heath, Chair
111 Port Watson Street
Cortland, NY 13045
Membership, Appointment & Term
There shall be a Fire Commission consisting of 5 members, all of whom shall be appointed by the Mayor with confirmation by the Common Council and shall be qualified electors of the City of Cortland, one shall receive the concurrence of the Board of Engineers of the Fire Department prior to confirmation by the Common Council, and shall be a volunteer fire fighter.
One, not a City employee, shall receive concurrence of the Paid Fire Fighters Association prior to confirmation of the Common Council. The Commissioners shall serve 3-year terms with no compensation, except the Common Council may authorize compensation for expenses. The Fire Commission shall, at the beginning of each year, elect one of its members as Chairman.
Powers & Duties
The Fire Commission shall have the powers and duties to:
- Submit to the Mayor the names of at least three qualified candidates, if there are three qualified candidates on the list of names reviewed and evaluated pursuant to § C4-3C for the position of Fire Chief
- Assist the Fire Chief when requested with regard to promotions, discipline and other personnel matters
- Review the estimates of revenues and proposed expenditures and capital program of the Fire Department and make recommendations to the Mayor and Capital Program Committee, respectively
- Review all complaints by citizens and, with the Fire Chief, devise solutions to valid problems in departmental operations
- Advise the Fire Chief on the administration and operations of the Department as he or the Mayor may request or as the Commission may deem necessary