Public Works & Public Safety Commission
- 6:30 p.m.
- 2nd Tuesday of every month
- 25 Wheeler Avenue
Cortland, NY 13045
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
About the Commission
There shall be a Public Works/ Public Safety Commission consisting of 5 members who shall be appointed by the Mayor with confirmation by the Common Council. The members shall serve 3-year terms with no compensation, except the Common Council may authorize compensation for expenses. The Public Works/ Public Safety Commission shall, at the beginning of each year, elect one of its members as Chairman.
Duties of the Commission
The Public Works/ Public Safety Commission shall:
- Submit to the Mayor the names of at least 3 qualified candidates, if there are three qualified candidates on the list of names reviewed and evaluated pursuant to § C4-3C for the position of Superintendent.
- Assist the Superintendent when requested in any personnel or disciplinary action.
- Review the estimates of revenues and proposed expenditures and capital program of the Department of Public Works and Public Safety Department and make recommendations to the Mayor and Capital Program Committee, respectively.
- Review all complaints by citizens and, with the Superintendent, devise solutions to valid problems in departmental operations.
- Advise the Superintendent on the administration and operations of the Department as he or the Mayor may request or as the Commission deems necessary.
- Propose with the Superintendent ordinances for regulating pedestrian and vehicular traffic and parking except as otherwise provided by law.