Local History

Emerald Hose Company

Irish immigrants comprised the membership of this volunteer fire company, the Emerald Hose Co., formed in 1878. The building housing the fire company, decorated in appropriate fire fighting symbols, stands at the corner of Central Ave and Church Street. In competitions against other fire companies throughout the Northeast, Emerald Hose members held the world’s record for 13 consecutive years, for speed in laying and attaching hose to a hydrant. Their silver parade carriage (show in photo here) won many honors for the Emeralds and Cortland village.