Local History

Ukrainian Immigration

Mikar and Luba Bondarenko with son Alex and twins Helen and William. Luba, born in Kiev, retired from Wickwire Brothers in 1961. William, an electrician, was employed there until its closing in 1972, when he opened his own business, Bill’s Motor Shop.

Luba is the first woman on the left in the back row, in this circa 1918 photo of Ukrainian women employees of Wickwire Brothers.

This large wooden apartment building at 202 Main Street (formerly 208) provided housing for some 30 Ukrainians at a time, in the first years of their residency in Cortland.

(photos provided by the Cortland County Historical Society)