Local History

Emerald Hose Company

The Emerald Hose Company: Irish immigrants comprised the membership of this volunteer fire company, formed in 1878. The building housing the fire company, decorated in the appropriate fire fighting symbols, stands at the corner of Central Ave and Church Street. In competitions against other fire companies throughout the Northeast, Emerald Hose members held the world’s record for 13 consecutive years, for speed in laying and attaching hose to a hydrant. Their silver parade carriage (shown here) won many honors for the Emeralds and Cortland village. Photo provided by the Cortland Co. Historical Society.